Sunday 26 September 2010

A breeders Warning

I would just like to make breeders aware of this one, I have had a kitten come back to me due to him not fitting into a multi cat household, although the new owner had many years experience with cats she was unable to keep to my feeding guidelines due to the other cats. For fear of them stealing his food the owner tried feeding the kitten set meals something my cats are not used to, I graze feed, meaning food is down all day in both wet and dry and the cats help themselves, I have found trying set feed times I end up with picky eaters or cats that won't eat because of fear of being disturbed. This is what I think has happened with this lad.

I would urge any breeder selling to a multi cat household to explore the set up and provide the owner with quite strict expectations on what the kittens needs are. I am probably speaking to the converted but I thought I had done this with a 3 page feeding guide I have learnt the hard way by having to pick the pieces up. I would also say to anyone who is thinking of getting a kitten who already has a multi cat household think carefully about the impact of one more on all the felines and is it in the kittens or the other cats best interest.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear this, especially after your recent upsets. I hope for you this is the last of the bad times. Take care Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jo, I do hope so will be glad to see the back of 2010

    Wayne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wayne, sorry to hear about this. Like you - I'm a 'grazing' feeder - Hopefully for this kitten it will all work out now for the best -

    Best wishes,
    Lesley x

    ReplyDelete